By joining the group e-mail forum you will be in contact with Alpha patients, their families, carers and friends living throughout the UK and overseas. We are a friendly group, and between us we have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share. There is always someone to help with any worries or queries you might have.
There are two simple steps in joining the Alpha-1 UK Support Group e-mail forum as follows:
Please send e-mail to email@example.com with subject "Membership" providing the following basic information:
1) Full Name
3) Your interest in our group
Note: If you require our Alpha-1 Information Pack please provide your full address.
You will now need to join our Yahoo Group by clicking on the following link which will take you to our groups Yahoo page:
If you decide that you still want to join, after reading the full description, click on the " + Join Group" button.
You will then need to "Create New Account" if you do not already have one.
If you already have a Yahoo account enter your "Yahoo ID" and "Password" and "Sign In"
You will now need to complete your registration and "Send Request"
Please Note: you can substitute your Yahoo e-mail address with your private e-mail address by editing your "Yahoo Account Info" and click on "Update your account information"
As soon as we receive notification that you have joined we will introduce you to our group.
Rules of Conduct
This is a family of A1AD patients, families, carers, and friends. Every member is valued and their contributions should be respected whether they are opinions, advice, or personal experiences.
To help this group remain a happy, pleasant place where everyone feels at home, we ask that you please keep your contributions within our guidelines.
Every online group has to have rules and moderators, and we are no exception. Some of our rules are necessary because they come directly from the Yahoo group Conditions of Use which we all have to abide by. Others have come about as we have tried to resolve the rare issues that inevitably crop up from time to time. Please take a minute or two to read them through:
1) E-mails must not contain abusive, disability biased, defamatory, or inflammatory material, including jokes, pictures, or comments which are potentially offensive. It is not acceptable to make personal attacks on anyone. It’s fine to disagree with someone but know when to draw the line. Please have respect for other people’s feelings.
2) Inoffensive jokes and light hearted material are welcomed, but it would be appreciated by many if the nature of the content appears somewhere in the Subject bar.
3) We are adults and reasonably broad-minded, however, extreme language will not be tolerated.
4) The passing on of chain e-mails of any kind is not welcomed; many people do not like these.
5) The use of the group to promote gambling or commercial gain is not allowed.
6) The group must not be used in a manner that is misleading, deceptive or fraudulent or otherwise illegal or promotes illegal activities.
7) The expression of opinions that are religious, political, sexist, ageist, racist or homophobic is completely unacceptable to this group. There are plenty of websites where such opinions are welcome but this mailing list is not a platform for airing personal views on these matters.
8) If you have a grievance about any particular member, email, or subject matter, then please contact one of the Committee, or Moderators, who will deal with your enquiry/complaint. It is not acceptable for members to take it upon themselves to intervene. Anyone who chooses to ignore this rule will receive a private warning which may lead to them being removed from the mailing list if they persist.
Everyone is entitled to contact other members privately however, if they do so in an abusive way which results in a complaint then a similar warning will be issued. If a public argument occurs then the parties involved will be politely, but firmly, asked to take the disagreement away from the group entirely.
9) Do not repost private e-mail unless you have the full permission of the original sender. To do so would be an infringement of copyright laws.
10) If you want to change your mail delivery setting or unsubscribe, please do not post your request to the list. Directions for this are at the bottom of every e-mail.
As previously mentioned the moderators are responsible for the smooth running of this group and their decisions are final. Warnings will be issued privately when necessary; if these warnings are ignored then a public warning may follow. If such an incident were to happen again, then for the sake of the group as a whole, we would have no choice other than to remove the culprit from the mailing list.